Here are our top 12 key differences between two fantastic bluetooth intercom headsets from Sena.
- The SMH 5 model is primarily designed with scooter riders in mind, whilst the SMH 10 is designed for motorcycle riders and groups.
- The SMH10 supports 4-way multipair conferencing, in other words, 4 riders can talk together.
- The SMH 5 is small and lightweight compared to the SMH 10 whilst the larger jog dial wheel on the SMH 10 is easy to use with gloves, turning volume up down, and most importantly easy to put on standby when the Misses is talking too much.
- The SMH 10 will give up to 900 metres intercom between riders whilst the SMH 5 will provide up to 400 metres intercom between riders.
- The SMH 10 has great optional clamp kits readily available to suit different helmets including clamp kits such as BYO earbuds for riders who wish to use your own.
- The SMH 10 dual kit has two of absolutely everything in the twin pack which makes it a great pack for mates to split and share for intercoms
- The SMH 5 will give you up to 8 hours talk time whilst the SMH 10 will give you up to 12 hours, as easy full days ride.
- The SMH10 supports VOX whilst the SMH5 does not .
- The SMH 5 will give you up to 7 days standby whilst the SMH10 will give you up to 10 days
- The SMH 5 has an optional detachable microphone from the clamp kit so if you just want to listen to music or your GPS navigation then you don’t need the microphone bobbing around in front of your chin, of course this means you cannot talk.
- The SMH 10 helmet clamp kits will allow riders to use non Bluetooth devices via an input 3.5mm jack so iPod’s or other MP3s which don’t have Bluetooth can still be connected.
- In the SMH 5 sales pack, riders are supplied with a micro USB cable for charging whilst both the single and dual SMH 10 packs are currently supplied with 3 charging options; a bike cig charger; AC power adapter and a micro USB charge cable
Whatever your requirements the SMH5 or SMH10 will ensure a more relaxed, safe and enjoyable ride. Both models are software upgradable via the micro USB port, and are supported by a 2 year warranty.
Building on the success of the “SMH10, The Best Motorcycle Headset and Intercom”. Sena have now introduced a new version the SMH5.
The Sena SMH5 Bluetooth Intercom headset for helmets is designed specifically for Motorcycle and Scooter riders and allows wireless communications via a mobile phone or intercom conversations with other riders or your pillion passenger.
The SMH5 supports Bluetooth connectivity with up to 4 riders using the Multi-Pair Intercom functionality. Stereo Speakers means you will experience great sound whilst listening to music or talking with a pillion or other motorcycle riders. Pairing a GPS to the headset also means turn by turn instructions are heard loud and clear. Additionally a UHF two way radio can also be connected to the SMH5 via the bluetooth adapter SR10
We get asked a lot what the difference is between the SMH5 and the SMH10. Here is the comparison:
|Sena SMH10 v SMH5 Product Comparison|
|Talk time: HOURS||12||8|
|Standby time: DAYS||10||7|
|Working Distance (Intercom) in open terrain||900metres||400 metres|
|Headset Dimensions||84.1mm x 56.5mm x 38.6mm||70mm x 45mm x 30.6mm|
|Clamp unit:||224mm x 85.5mm x 30.6mm||49mm x 39mm x 22mm|
|Headset Weight||60 g||40 g|
|Clamp unit Weight||84 g||37 g|
|Hand-Free Profile (HFP),||Yes||Yes|
|Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP),||Yes||Yes|
|Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)||Yes||Yes|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth V2.1+EDR||Bluetooth V3.0|
|BT Multipoint connectivity||Yes||Yes|
|Built-in SBC Codec||Yes||Yes|
|wind noise reduction||Yes||Yes|
|wide volume control||Yes||Yes|
|sample rate: 48kHz (DAC)||Yes||Yes|
|auxiliary audio-in connection via 3.5mm jack||Yes||NO|
|Battery Charging time:||2.5||2.5|
|Optional Clamp Kits||Attachable Boom, wired mic & earbuds||Boom & wired mic Only, NO Earbud|
|Bluetooth Connection to SR10||Yes||Yes|
|Intercom Conferencing||YES up to 4||YES up to 5|
|2 Year Warranty||Yes||Yes|
|Whats in the Box||SMH10 BT Unit||SMH5 BT Unit|
|USB Power Cable||USB Power Cable ONLY|
|DC Power Charger||Boom Microphone + mic sponge|
|Cigarette Charger||Wired Speaker|
|3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack Cable||Clamp Unit|
|Speaker – Microphone Clamp Unit||Velcro Pad & a spacer|
|Glued Surface Mounting Adaptor||Glued Surface Mounting Adaptors|
|Velcro Pad||Hex/Allen Keys|